For parents, it is natural to deal with super inquisitive kids who ask many questions and expect their parents to answer all of them. It is not fair. But then, what is truly fair in this world? You are likely to say that when you are a single lesbian girl raising a kid alone. You may have had a partner in the past, and together you decided to adopt a child. Now, she has left you for no reason – or you might have lost your partner to a dreaded accident. Whatever the case, the fact remains that your child looks up to you to answer whatever queries they might have about life, and that is when you can resort to books.
Tips for Single Lesbian Parents to Combine Private Life and Kids’ Education
When you are a single lesbian, life can be quite challenging. But, before you decide to tackle all those challenges all by yourself, why not listen to what other single lesbian parents have to say about dating again? So many of them have already found love again in life. Most of them always talk about the role of dating sites in finding lesbian hookups for both short-term and long-term connections. You can find a hookup partner to feel better about yourself and use that confidence to improve your life as a whole. Or, you can find a serious dating partner to help give your child a secure future.
Dating sites are enough to keep your private life going well, and you can find many other resources to help raise your kid. Well over 111,000 same-sex couples in the US are raising 220,000 children. As a lesbian parent, you can find schools and institutions where they create classrooms and curricula to recognize diversity based on race, culture, sexuality, and religion. In these institutions, you find a curriculum that includes LGBT people and helps to create a safe space in general. Along with helping your child learn in schools, you need to play your role as well, and that is when books can help you expand your knowledge of certain things, too.
Popular Books to Help Explain Sensitive Issues
Reading books can give you much more insight into sensitive topics and prepare you to answer inevitable questions your child is going to ask in the time to come. Here are some good options to consider:
- Lifetimes: The Beautiful Way to Explain Death to Children: Expect your child to ask about it, especially if you are raising them alone after the death of your lesbian partner. The book helps you in so many ways and teaches you how to ensure your child understands the concept of mortality. It introduces the concept of death and the circle of life in a gentle yet welcoming tone.
- It’s Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health: Explaining puberty can be quite confusing, especially when you are a lesbian mother and raising a boy. This book is all that you need because it explains private parts, hormones, and all the changes your child is likely to go through while growing up.
- Mommy, Mama, and Me: The book is about the gentle, nurturing relationship of a lesbian couple and their child. You will get to know more about their challenges, and that will help you prepare for what might be in store for you.
- Families Like Mine: Children of Gay Parents Tell It Like It Is: It is a great book to read when you are raising a little one as a lesbian single. It shares stories of adults with LGBT parents. It also deals with the topic of coming out.
- Confessions of the Other Mother: Non-Biological Lesbian Moms Tell All: Read the book to know how challenging yet fulfilling it can be to raise a child with no biological ties. It is focused on lesbian parents but is just as useful for non-biological parents across the spectrum.
Living as a single lesbian mom can be quite intimidating, and one way to deal with the situation is to go online, try dating sites, and find yourself the support of another lesbian dating partner. Alternatively, you can try reading books and discover how to answer all the questions life and your child are going to ask through your way. You already know where to start now, don’t you?